Date: 05 July 2017
Depicts: Mercury Planetary Orbiter
Copyright: ESA/ATG medialab
The science instruments of BepiColombo's Mercury Planetary Orbiter. There are 11 instrument suites in total, several of which have multiple subsystems (as indicated in the graphic). Four of the instruments are located inside the spacecraft.
- BELA: BepiColombo laser altimeter
- ISA: Italian spring accelerometer
- MPO-MAG: Mercury Planetary Orbiter Magnetometer
- MERTIS: MErcury Radiometer and Thermal Infrared Spectrometer
- MGNS: Mercury Gamma-ray and Neutron Spectrometer
- MIXS: Mercury Imaging X-ray Spectrometer (-C: collimator; -T: telescope)
- MORE: Mercury Orbiter Radio-science Experiment
- PHEBUS: Probing of Hermean Exosphere by Ultraviolet Spectroscopy
- SERENA: Search for Exospheric Refilling and Emitted Natural Abundance (ELENA: Emitted Low-Energy Neutral Atoms; MIPA: Miniature Ion Precipitation Analyser; PICAM: Planetary Ion Camera; STROFIO: Start from a Rotating Field Mass Spectrometer)
- SIMBIO-SYS: Spectrometer and Imagers for MPO BepiColombo Integrated Observatory System
- SIXS: Solar Intensity X-ray and particle Spectrometer
Note that MPO-MAG, PHEBUS and SIXS are not visible in this view; see this image for details.